9.8.08

Moving to Mespo

Quick update:

It's decided. We're not moving to Georgetown. In stead, we're moving to Mespo. This after we on Friday went to have a look at an apartment there that our friends at WINFA had found out about. This time there was no need to think about it. We agreed on the spot. Everything seems perfect. The place is brand new, spacious and has high wooden ceilings and it holds two bedrooms a bathroom and a kitchen. It seems safe (security locks, the police station a stone's throw away (though I'm not about to try)), and it is located in what people seem to agree is a "good area". There is even a health centre close by (throw the other way) if we need medical attention, and a supermarket just down the road. The rent is only 750 ECD (1500 NOK/ 300 USD) a month and the landlords, a middle aged couple, are friendly and well thought of people ("no one will give you any trouble knowing you are with us", the wife promised).

Though Mespo seems to be a bit remote if you look at the map, it is actually only half an hour from Kingstown and the vans leave frequently. And most importantly: this is farm country. The bread basket of the island. There are a number of Fairtrade groups within close distance. Still, I am contemplating buying a car, for convenience' sake, but primarily for Ella's safety. No vans or taxis are fitted with child seats and some of them go pretty damn fast.

But first things first. We're probably moving on Thursday or Friday this coming week.

2 comments:

Lumographe said...

Stumbled across your blog by accident, and I just wanted to say that it's fascinating to read about St. Vincent from an outsider's perspective. I've lived here for as long as I can remember and I think it's a bit dull, but I guess everyone thinks the same thing about their home country at some point. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Haakon said...

I'll have to return the compliment right back at you, lumographe. I had a look at your blog and I love to get the insider's perspective. Good luck with the CAPE results!

BTW! You won me over with the Bowie-quote in the title.